Jodie Whittaker to leave Doctor Who in 2022...

Jodie Whittaker to leave Doctor Who in 2022...

Postby dutchman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:48 pm

Jodie Whittaker is to step down from the lead role in Doctor Who, the BBC has confirmed

The first woman to play the Time Lord will bow out in Autumn 2022, along with showrunner Chris Chibnall.

Whittaker will star in a new six-part series later this year, and three specials next year, before she exits.

In a statement, Whittaker paid tribute to Chibnall and the Doctor Who team, adding: "I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I've learnt forever."

Chibnall, who appointed the actress to replace Peter Capaldi in the role, has been in charge of the BBC One series since 2017.

It has not yet been announced who will take over from Whittaker in the leading role.

"In 2017 I opened my glorious gift box of size 13 shoes," Whittaker said in a statement. "I could not have guessed the brilliant adventures, worlds and wonders I was to see in them."

She continued: "My heart is so full of love for this show, for the team who make it, for the fans who watch it and for what it has brought to my life."

"And I cannot thank Chris enough for entrusting me with his incredible stories. We knew that we wanted to ride this wave side by side, and pass on the baton together. So here we are, weeks away from wrapping on the best job I have ever had. I don't think I'll ever be able to express what this role has given me. I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I've learnt forever.

"I know change can be scary and none of us know what's out there. That's why we keep looking. Travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you. Constantly."

For her final series, Whittaker will once again be joined by Mandip Gill as Yaz, and comedian John Bishop, who will play a new character named Dan.

The 13th Doctor's first episode in October 2018 was watched by 11.5m viewers, in the sci-fi drama's biggest audience for almost a decade. It was also the biggest show of that week, ahead of Strictly Come Dancing and the Great British Bake Off.

But the show's ratings have dropped in recent years. Whittaker's last episode, broadcast in January, attracted a consolidated audience of 6.3 million.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV