Top Gear star named new Question of Sport presenter after Sue Barker exit...

Top Gear star named new Question of Sport presenter after Sue Barker exit...

Postby dutchman » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:56 pm

"This is an honour and opportunity I'm certainly not taking lightly"

Top Gear's Paddy McGuinness has been named A Question of Sport's next host, following long-standing presenter Sue Barker's exit from the show.

In addition, the BBC has announced that Olympic hockey gold medallist Sam Quek and England rugby star Ugo Monye are set to take over from existing team captains Phil Tufnell and Matt Dawson.

"I love the fiercely competitive nature of sports stars coupled with having a laugh," McGuinness said.

"That's why A Question of Sport has always been one of my favourite shows and having been weaned on it from an early age, this is an honour and opportunity I'm certainly not taking lightly.

"I grew up with both Davids [Vine and Coleman] hosting but it's Sue who made this show her own," he added. "She will always be a Question of Sport icon, but I'll try my best to stamp my own mark on it."

The BBC confirmed that Barker was calling it a day after a 24-year run last year.

Quek went on to say that it was always her ambition to be on the show, and while she made her appearance on it for the first time five years ago, she never dreamed of being its first female captain.

"I have some huge shoes to fill as Matt and Phil are two of the greatest captains to have ever appeared on the show but it's thanks to trailblazers like Sue Barker that I now have this opportunity," the 32-year-old said.

"I'll give it my all and make sure I enjoy every minute of the ride. Oh, and Ugo… I'm coming for you!"

"It's an incredible honour to be selected as A Question of Sport's team captain," Monye added, before describing the opportunity to lead panels of industry professionals on the TV quiz as "truly humbling."

"A Question of Sport has had some phenomenal team captains from rugby over the years with legends like Bill Beaumont and more recently Matt Dawson, so I'm looking forward to hopefully adding to that list.

"I'd like to thank Sue Barker, Phil Tufnell, and Matt Dawson for making the show what it is today. I'm hoping to be as welcoming as they have been with guests, as competitive and have just as much fun!"

Barker, 65, had been the face of the programme since she replaced David Coleman back in 1997. Before that, A Question of Sport was fronted by David Vine.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV