Piers Morgan leaves ITV's Good Morning Britain after row over Meghan remarks

Piers Morgan leaves ITV's Good Morning Britain after row over Meghan remarks

Postby dutchman » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:17 pm

Piers Morgan has left ITV's Good Morning Britain following a row over comments he made about the Duchess of Sussex

It brings the controversial host's time on the breakfast show to an end after six years.

ITV announced the decision after Ofcom said it was investigating his comments after receiving 41,000 complaints.

On Monday's show, Morgan said he "didn't believe a word" the duchess had told Oprah Winfrey in an interview.

An ITV spokesperson said: "Following discussions with ITV, Piers Morgan has decided now is the time to leave Good Morning Britain. ITV has accepted this decision and has nothing further to add."

His departure followed an on-air clash with weather presenter Alex Beresford, who criticised Morgan on Tuesday for "continuing to trash" the duchess, prompting Morgan to walk off set. He returned within 10 minutes.

On Monday's programme, Morgan picked up on the duchess's claim that her request to senior Buckingham Palace officials for help was rejected, after she told Winfrey she had had suicidal thoughts.

"Who did you go to?" he said. "What did they say to you? I'm sorry, I don't believe a word she said, Meghan Markle. I wouldn't believe it if she read me a weather report.

"The fact that she's fired up this onslaught against our Royal Family I think is contemptible."

He also referred to the duchess as the "Pinocchio Princess" in a tweet later that morning.

Morgan has not commented on his departure beyond posting a gif on Twitter of a ticking clock.

:bbc_news:

:rolling:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Piers Morgan leaves ITV's Good Morning Britain after row over Meghan remarks

Postby rebbonk » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:19 pm

Somehow, I feel that Morgan (much as I despise him) has got something up his sleeve. He might be many things, but I've never thought of him as either stupid or impulsive.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to Other TV