The voice of Peppa Pig is stepping down after 13 years in the role

The voice of Peppa Pig is stepping down after 13 years in the role

Postby dutchman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:23 am

Harley Bird is being replaced in the cartoon by a former EastEnders actress

It's the end of an era, as the long-serving voice of Peppa Pig has decided to step down from the role after more than a decade.

18-year-old Harley Bird has announced that she will no longer be playing the title character in the mega-hit children's cartoon, after first taking on the role at the age of five.

"Becoming the voice of Peppa Pig at the age of five was the start of an incredible journey, and I'll never forget my time on the show," she said (via BBC News), adding that her co-stars had "become like a family" and had given her "unforgettable memories".

Peppa Pig co-creators Neville Astley and Mark Baker also had nothing but praise for Bird, saying: "As our longest-standing Peppa, Harley's award-winning contribution to the show over the past 13 years has been tremendous, making her a key part of the success of Peppa Pig."

The role has brought great success for Bird, who won a BAFTA for playing Peppa in 2011 and performed songs for Peppa Pig: My First Album.

The role of Peppa will be taken over by 9-year-old Amelie Bea Smith, the fourth actress to play the character, and she can first be heard in the episode airing on Valentine's Day.

Smith, who also starred in several EastEnders episodes in 2018 and 2019 as Daisy, a foster child of Arshad and Mariam Ahmed, will have her voice heard in all territories that show episodes in English, including the UK, the US and Australia.

Smith is also soon due to star in The Haunting of Bly Manor on Netflix.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV