Wheeler Dealers Returns To Discovery For Brand New Series

Re: Wheeler Dealers Returns To Discovery For Brand New Series

Postby dutchman » Sun May 10, 2020 6:45 pm

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sun May 10, 2020 11:42 pm

His reasoning sounds very much like Ford's when it decided to take Jaguar mass-market. Rarity has value!
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:18 pm

Wheeler Dealers Is Returning To The UK, Ant Anstead To Depart

Mike Brewer has confirmed that from series 17, the show will switch from its US setting back to the UK, which will involve a new mechanic on the team

After six years based in the USA, Wheeler Dealers is returning to its homeland. Host Mike Brewer has confirmed series 17 will be filmed in the UK at a workshop near Bicester Heritage, with the move triggering a mechanic change.

Ant Anstead, who replaced Edd China in 2017, will no longer be a series regular. Having put down roots in the US, he’s decided to remain there, “to be close to family and concentrate on his new TV projects”. He will, however, be “popping in” to the new UK workshop from time to time.

Anstead’s replacement is Marc ‘Elvis’ Priestley, a former McLaren Formula 1 mechanic turned TV presenter who’s already starred in Wheeler Dealers: Dream Car.

In a Zoom call with Anstead and Priestly, Brewer explained the thinking behind the location shift. “We have been inundated with the audience saying ‘when are you coming home?’…We do listen to the audience and we do feel after our six years of being here, it’s time to return back to our roots,” he said.

Wheeler Dealers is currently part-way through its 16th series, which will be the last to feature Anstead full time. Series 17, with the new format, will kick off during autumn 2021.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:28 am

Didn't realise Wheeler Dealers had resumed on Quest the other Thursday! :clown:

Fortunately my Freeview receiver remembered to record it. I haven't watched the first one with the Mercedes yet but the Jensen-Healey episode was the most boring to date. It felt more like a lecture at technical college. Admittedly the Jensen-Healey was a boring design to begin with, crippled as it was by US safety and emission considerations. I'm a fan of both Jensen and Healey but the combination of the two was a marriage made in hell. The programme skipped a lot of the work which was done, including removal of the hideous front bumper.

Before:

After:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:48 pm

I caught the programme and was very disappointed. The show has completely lost its way.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:57 pm

The Mercedes 300TD episode was much better. I seldom watch episodes with european or Japanese cars for very long but this one held my attention. I noticed they didn't mention the turbo-charger or how much it would cost to fix if it went wrong.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:18 pm

Found this clip fascinating:

Sadly the full programme is not yet available on Freeview. :(
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:06 am

I'd love to know if he did the work himself or had 'off-screen' assistance.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:09 am

Of course he had off-screen assistance, the same way Edd China had off-screen assistance from Paul Brackley.

The programmes also take way longer to make than suggested in the final cut, years in some cases. It's a sore point with the owners of classic car restoration companies who have customers walk in and ask "can you restore this 1060s Ford Mustang to showroom condition in a week like they do on TV?"
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:04 pm

The Merkur XR4Ti was a good episode. How often do you see a Sierra with a rust-free body and it's parcel shelf still intact? Sadly after all the work they did it was broken up for spares by the new owner.

dutchman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Other TV