Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman

Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman

Postby dutchman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:08 pm

Jodie Whittaker has been announced as Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord - the first woman to get the role

She was revealed in a trailer that was broadcast on BBC One at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final.

The Broadchurch star succeeds Peter Capaldi, who took the role in 2013 and leaves in this year's Christmas special.

Whittaker, 35, said it was "overwhelming, as a feminist" to become the next Doctor.

She will make her debut on the sci-fi show when the Doctor regenerates in the Christmas Day show.

The Huddersfield-born star had become a late favourite to become the Doctor.

There will be a familiar face for her on set - Doctor Who's new showrunner is Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall.

Whittaker said: "I'm beyond excited to begin this epic journey - with Chris and with every Whovian on this planet.

"It's more than an honour to play the Doctor. It means remembering everyone I used to be, while stepping forward to embrace everything the Doctor stands for: hope. I can't wait."

She said it feels "incredible" to take on the role, saying: "It feels completely overwhelming, as a feminist, as a woman, as an actor, as a human, as someone who wants to continually push themselves and challenge themselves, and not be boxed in by what you're told you can and can't be."

And she told fans not to be "scared" by her gender.

"Because this is a really exciting time, and Doctor Who represents everything that's exciting about change," she said, adding: "The fans have lived through so many changes, and this is only a new, different one, not a fearful one."

She has another link with Doctor Who - one of her co-stars on Broadchurch was 10th Doctor David Tennant.

Chibnall said the 13th Doctor was always going to be a woman.

He said: "I always knew I wanted the 13th Doctor to be a woman and we're thrilled to have secured our number one choice.

"Her audition for the Doctor simply blew us all away. Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role. The 13th Doctor is on her way."

Chibnall is taking over from Steven Moffat, who leaves at the same time as Capaldi.

Capaldi had said that he wanted to see a woman replace him in the Tardis.

He said: "Anyone who has seen Jodie Whittaker's work will know that she is a wonderful actress of great individuality and charm.

"She has above all the huge heart to play this most special part. She's going to be a fantastic Doctor."

Whittaker starred as Beth Latimer in the three series of the ITV crime drama Broadchurch as the mother of a murdered boy.

As well as TV work, Whittaker has appeared on the big screen, in One Day, Attack the Block and St Trinian's.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman

Postby rebbonk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby rebbonk » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:41 pm

The overnight ratings are already in freefall and the reactions I've read in Dr Who forums suggest they are about to fall even faster.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV