Peter Capaldi confirms he's leaving Doctor Who as his final series premiere date is revealed

Peter Capaldi confirms he's leaving Doctor Who as his final series premiere date is revealed

Postby dutchman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:08 pm

"I can't thank everyone enough. It's been cosmic."

It's officially the end of an era: Peter Capaldi is hanging up his TARDIS key at the end of Doctor Who's next series.

Capaldi made the sad announcement on Jo Whiley's BBC Radio 2 show on Monday night that he will be leaving the BBC One sci-fi institution after the show's 10th series, which begins on Saturday, April 15.

"One of the greatest privileges of being Doctor Who is to see the world at its best," Capaldi told fans live on the radio.

"From our brilliant crew and creative team working for the best broadcaster on the planet, to the viewers and fans whose endless creativity, generosity and inclusiveness points to a brighter future ahead.I can't thank everyone enough. It's been cosmic."

Announcing his own decision to leave Doctor Who live on Radio 2 tonight, Capaldi explained simply that he feels "it's time to move on".

"This'll be the end for me," he said. "I feel sad. I love Doctor Who. It's a fantastic programme to work on. It's been a huge pleasure to work with... a family. I can't praise the people I work with more highly.

"I've never worked the same job for three years, and I feel like now is the right time to move on. I'll still be the Doctor for a while."

The sad news of his imminent departure comes only one month after Capaldi expressed hope of being The Doctor for "a long time" while promoting the 2016 Christmas special 'The Return of Doctor Mysterio'.

"I don't want to escape the idea that I'm Doctor Who. It's finite. I won't be Doctor Who forever, so there will be a day when people don't come and say hello," he explained at the time.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV