Richard Hammond to front BBC science documentary

Richard Hammond to front BBC science documentary

Postby dutchman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Top Gear's Richard Hammond will front new two-part documentary Journey To The Centre Of The Planet.

The BBC One series will examine the earth's machine using state-of-the-art technology, including a giant 3D virtual earth that utilises satellite maps, and sonar and radar images.

Hammond's journey will involve taking a plunge in Iceland, travelling into the abyss off the coast of California and watching bioluminescent deep sea creatures in Monterey Bay Canyon.

"In making this show I learned that our planet is far, far from being an inert lump of rock that we live on," said Hammond. "It has a vital, dynamic role to play in defining and enabling our existence. People talk about going on a 'journey' in TV shows: well this has to be the ultimate such journey, not only across and around our world but deep into it.

"It's a journey that changed the way I think about the earth beneath our feet and I hope it does the same for the BBC One audience."

Kim Shillinglaw, commissioner of science and natural history, said: "Science is at the heart of everyday life - and the way our planet works affects every aspect of the modern world around us.

"There's more scientific data than ever before that allows us to strip away the planet's layers and explore the forces at work deep below. We've harnessed that data, together with Richard's passion for the subject and stunning CGI to bring the subject to life for BBC One audiences."

Something tells me Hammond won't be visiting Mexico? :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1353503/Top-Gear-BBC-faces-lawsuit-Richard-Hammond-calls-Mexico-lazy-feckless.html
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV