'Torchwood' creator: 'Wales vital to series'

'Torchwood' creator: 'Wales vital to series'

Postby dutchman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:53 pm

Torchwood creator Russell T. Davies has insisted that Wales will always be important to the show.

The fourth season of the sci-fi drama, a co-production between US cable network Starz and BBC Wales, filmed in both the US and the UK.

Asked if the show could ever abandon Wales entirely, Davies told SFX: "I would never want to. Whether I do any more [seasons of Torchwood] I don't know, because I think I've saved the world often enough... but it's a BBC Wales production as well, [so] it's part of its DNA."

He added that the show's Welsh setting will always serve as the "building blocks" of the series.

"I would think if there was a new series you'd start with something being dug up here [in Wales]," he speculated. "Something mysterious. Those are the building blocks, it would always work."

However, Davies admitted that the new ten-part season, subtitled Miracle Day, is "about 95% [set in] America".

"We've got three weeks [in Wales] and we're shooting scenes from nine episodes," he explained. "I think episode seven is the [only] one that doesn't have any Welsh material at all."

The writer previously indicated that the US and UK elements of Torchwood: Miracle Day were "written to clash".

The series will air on BBC One in the UK and Starz in the US.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV