'Doctor Who' should be scary, says writer

'Doctor Who' should be scary, says writer

Postby dutchman » Sun May 22, 2011 2:29 am

Mark Gatiss has revealed that he thinks Doctor Who should provide its viewers with "a healthy scare".

Speaking to Digital Spy at the British Academy Television Awards nominees' party, the actor and writer asserted that being scared is just as good as being entertained.

When asked how he felt about recent complaints that the BBC One show had become too frightening, he said: "[It's] thrilling, wonderful... of course it should be too scary.

"When I wrote my very first one for Chris Eccleston, I actually went on [BBC Radio 4's] PM with Eddie Mair because they'd had people saying, 'It's too frightening'. He said, 'How do you feel?' and I said, 'I'm absolutely over the moon'. Of course that's what it's about."

Gatiss penned 'The Unquiet Dead', which featured gaseous villains the Gelth, during Eccleston's tenure as The Doctor.

He has also written 'The Idiot's Lantern', featuring David Tennant, and last season's 'Victory of the Daleks' for Matt Smith.

He also collaborates with Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat on Sherlock, which has just started production on its second series.

The British Academy Television Awards will be held in London on Sunday. The ceremony will be broadcast on BBC One from 8pm.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV