'Midsomer Murders' creator suspended

'Midsomer Murders' creator suspended

Postby dutchman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:16 am

The creator of Midsomer Murders has been suspended over comments made about the show's lack of ethnic minorities.

Brian True-May had described the long-running detective series as "the last bastion of Englishness" in an interview with Radio Times, adding that if black or Asian faces were introduced "it wouldn't be the English village" with which viewers are familiar.

He explained: "We are a cosmopolitan society in this country, but if you watch Midsomer you wouldn't think so. I've never been picked up on that, but quite honestly I wouldn't want to change it."

He continued: "Well, we just don't have ethnic minorities involved. Because it wouldn't be the English village with them. It just wouldn't work. Suddenly we might be in Slough. Ironically, Causton (the town in the series) is supposed to be Slough. And if you went to Slough you wouldn't see a white face there.

"We're the last bastion of Englishness and I want to keep it that way."

True-May has since been suspended by All3Media after outraging ITV bosses, reports The Daily Telegraph.

An ITV spokesman said: "We are shocked and appalled at these personal comments by Brian True-May which are absolutely not shared by anyone at ITV.

"We are in urgent discussions with All3Media, the producer of Midsomer Murders, who have informed us that they have launched an immediate investigation into the matter and have suspended Mr True-May pending the outcome."
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV