Countdown announces permanent host after Anne Robinson quits

Countdown announces permanent host after Anne Robinson quits

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:56 pm

"I get the honour of guiding it into a fifth decade"

Countdown has officially named its new host – and it's a familiar face.

Following the departure of Anne Robinson last year, Colin Murray stepped up as the temporary host, alongside a number of other guest hosts.

But he's now announced he'll be joining the show on a permanent basis.

"It’s a career dream to be named as permanent anchor of one of television’s most iconic programmes," he said on Steph's Packed Lunch.

"I have been a fan since day one, been part of the family for over a decade, appearing on Dictionary Corner, and now I get the honour of guiding it into a fifth decade."

He continued by saying he hopes the show continues to thrive with him, adding: "During my caretaker stint we’ve seen more people tune back in, with close to a million [0.9m] watching the series finale in December, and I want that to just be the beginning.

"Countdown is a special show, and its stars will always be the letters and the numbers, but it’s more than that," he continued.

"Great afternoon company for people of all ages from all across the UK. Rachel [Riley], Susie [Dent] and I are very excited for the year ahead. If you haven’t watched in a while, drop by and join us. Everyone is welcome."

In a statement, Channel 4’s Head of Daytime and Features Jo Street said in a statement: "We have listened to the fans.

"Many have written in to let us know how much they love Colin on the show, and so I am delighted to be able to confirm that he is staying in the hotseat alongside lexicographer Susie Dent and maths whiz Rachel Riley MBE."

Colin, a BBC Radio 5 Live presenter, had previously filled in when then-host Nick Hewer took time off in 2020 to shield during the COVID-19 pandemic.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Other TV