For cat lovers only...

Anything that doesn't fit comfortably in the other sections

Re: For cat lovers only...

Postby FairMay » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:24 am

dutchman wrote:Well spotted FairMay, it's definitely smoke or steam of some kind. :applause:

What a beautiful, clever engaging cat! :D
FairMay

Postby dutchman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:05 pm

FairMay wrote:What a beautiful, clever engaging cat! :D

Aren't they all? :yellow_grin:

This one's name is Miku. He was found abandoned in Japan when only a month old.

Anyway I've made him your avatar picture although you can change it for anything else if you like.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:50 pm

Cat visits owner's grave every day, leaves gifts

A 3-year-old cat from Northern Italy has been visiting his owner's grave for the past year, leaving small presents.

Toldo's owner, Iozzelli Renzo, died on September 22, 2011 aged 71, but the black-and-white feline has been leaving gifts such as leaves, twigs, plastic cups and paper towels daily ever since.

The cat reportedly followed the coffin from the house to the cemetery on the day of Renzo's funeral, and was seen there the day after.

Renzo's widow Ada explained to Italian newspaper Corriere Fiorentino: "We went to the cemetery with my daughter and found a sprig of acacia on the grave. I immediately thought it was the cat, but my daughter was convinced that I was just in a very emotional state."

She added: "Even today, I went to the cemetery with Toldo. On the way back, someone I know told me the cat had already been there early this morning."

Ada stated that her late husband shared a strong bond with the cat after adopting him from a cat colony when he was a few months old.

"My husband was very affectionate with him," she said. "Renzo loved animals. It's almost as if Toldo would be grateful.

"He is a special cat, one cannot help liking him."
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Merlin the cat with the loudest purr in the world

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:33 pm

Injured cat survives 1,667 miles trapped underneath train

Polly is safe with vet Jenny Franning

An injured inter-city kitty has survived a 1,667-mile journey trapped in a train’s undercarriage.

Two-year-old Polly is believed to have broken her left front leg while hunting rats in a rail shunting depot near her home in Plymouth.

The wounded tabby then managed to sneak inside a sealed unit under the front carriage of a high-speed express.

Terrified Polly was still on board when the 06.51am left Plymouth last Thursday and travelled to London Paddington and Swansea twice, then stopped for the night in Bristol.

Next day the train called at Worcester, Oxford, Paddington and Swansea.

After a return trip to London it left Paddington at 19.03pm, bound for Plymouth then its final destination of Penzance in Cornwall.

Polly was only found after train manager Emily Mahoney-Smith heard a “miaow” on the Plymouth stop.

She thought it was a suspension fault and went on to the platform to check but failed to find anything wrong.

The train carried on – but the miaows started again at St Germans in Cornwall. Emily and the driver tracked the noise down to a sealed equipment storage unit.

They opened a hatch and pulled out Polly, who had been missing from home for three weeks.

Emily fed her tuna from the buffet, then put her in a box in the passenger section as the train continued to Penzance

Emily, 33, said: “Her leg was infected but she was very friendly and purred as I made a couple of calls. It’s amazing she survived so long.

"I think she climbed into the train as she was hunting rats in the shunting yard.”

Train controllers alerted the RSPCA, who phoned on-call vet Matthew Berriman in Penzance.

Matthew, 34, said: “The train staff brought the cat to my surgery.

"She had a very nasty leg fracture which was easily four or five days old by the time we operated.

"So it’s extremely possible she was stuck on the train for several days.”

Polly’s leg had to be amputated – but she is now recovering from her ordeal.

Her owners – retired train driver Arthur Westington, 84, and his wife Louisa, 82– were traced through her microchip.

Louisa said: “We thought she’d gone for good. She has now seen more of the country than us.”

Train operators First Great Western said: “That unit isn’t accessible from a normal station stop – so the latest the cat could have stowed away would have been at Plymouth where the train started service.

"We’ve calculated she did at least 1,667 miles.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Cat plays with vacuum-cleaner hose...

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue May 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Brigitta the cat-on-wheels from Celle, Germany needs her wheelchair to stand after she was shot with an airgun:

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Wed May 15, 2013 7:12 am

...needs her wheelchair to stand after she was shot with an airgun:

I really don't understand how people can do such things. :fuming:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Extremely rare white lion is born in Serbian zoo...

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Cats Protection holding rehoming event for pets desperately in need of owners

A charity has set up another rehoming event for cats because it is struggling to cope with the number of felines being dumped in Coventry.

The Cats Protection charity was only just able to save the life of a ten-week-old kitten called Phoebe, who had serious medical problems. The cat was bought for £5 off the website Gumtree, but when her new owners brought her home, they realised something was wrong.

Janet Franklin, who runs Coventry’s Cats Protection centre, said: “She was extremely affectionate but she wouldn’t eat, was quite weak, and was full of fleas.

“Phoebe’s new owners tried to return her but they couldn’t get in touch with her old owner, so they asked for help. Fortunately, we were able to take Phoebe into our care.

"She’s now doing well and is ready to be rehomed, but she is a very lucky kitten.”

Cats Protection is having a homing event for cats that are desperately in need of owners. The event is on Saturday, from 11am to 4pm, at Corley Rocks Cattery, Rock Lane, Corley.

dutchman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous