For cat lovers only...

Anything that doesn't fit comfortably in the other sections

Re: For cat lovers only...

Postby dutchman » Fri May 14, 2021 6:21 pm

Canley Fire Crew in classic cat rescue as Charley is stuck in conifers for four days

FIREFIGHTERS have always been synonymous with rescuing cats from trees and a crew from Canley Fire Station got to do just that.

Charley had been stuck in conifers for four days when her owner summoned the brigade’s expertise and head for heights.

The crew from Canley were joined by colleagues from West Midlands Fire Service’s Technical Rescue team and representatives from the RSPCA Coventry and Nuneaton ‘branch’.

The firefighters posted pictures of the action on Twitter, adding: ‘It had the purr-fect ending’.

Charley’s owner Amrik Bhabra posted the picture of Charley (above) to thank everyone for their help in getting the cat down.

Amrik tweeted: “The Canley crew, Technical Rescue and RSPCA Coventry and Nuneaton were absolutely amazing.

“Their patience, professionalism and kindness was very much appreciated.”

Charley is now back home and resting.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun May 30, 2021 7:34 pm

"Coventry woman wins baking competition with cat-inspired creation"

A Coventry woman has won a baking competition with an incredible cat-inspired creation.

Jay Urquhart-Pettifer landed first place in Cats Protection's Pawsone Baking Challenge with a cake made to look just like balls of wool and little felines based on cats she has owned through the years.

The competition was judged by Great British Bake Off finalist Kim-Joy, who praised Jay's cake, saying it would "bring a smile to anyone’s face".

Jay said: “I’m so glad Kim-Joy liked my ball of wool showstopper and it’s given me extra confidence in my baking.

“This cake shows all of the cats I’ve owned in my life, including my current black-and-white feline Izzy, and I went for very bright colours to give it the fun element!"

Kim-Joy, who has two cats called Inki and Mochi, was full of praise for Jay's vegan Victoria sponge cake.

She said: “It was a tough choice picking a winner but I have to say I’ve never seen a ball of wool cake before! I love the way the cats have their own personalities, especially the orange cat playing with the string. It would bring a smile to anyone’s face.”

Professional baker Kim-Joy, who was a runner-up on the 2018 series of Bake Off, also judged the junior competition for those aged 18 and under, which was won by 16-year-old Isobel Davies from Croydon.

Both Jay and Isobel have won a signed copy of Kim-Joy’s Baking with Kim-Joy book while the competition raised more than £1,600 to help Cats Protection look after and rehome unwanted cats.

“We’d like to say a very big thank you to everyone who sent in their bakes,” said Zoe Thompson from Cats Protection’s events team. “The funds raised will help us guarantee brighter futures for many needy cats.

“If anyone is inspired by these bakes, then why not register to host your own afternoon tea to help unwanted cats? Please visit http://www.pawsometea.org to find out more.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:35 am

Charity urges people to neuter their cats after three stray colonies appear across Coventry

At least three colonies of stray cats are currently living in Coventry and a local cat charity is telling cat owners to make sure their pets are spayed to stop them growing.

Coventry Cat Group (CCG) are currently trying to trap and take care of the cats and kittens but, despite having started in February, feel it could take until next year to get the situation under control.

The charity do not want to share the location of the colonies as they are worried people could interfere with their efforts in making sure the cats are trapped and receive necessary attention.

CCG's Debbie Brassington said:"A stray kitten can get pregnant four months after being born.

"It only takes one male and one female to get together and soon you have a colony.

"We believe tom cats are moving between the three colonies and causing more strays to get pregnant.

"We know there are at least 30 cats across the three colonies but there could be as many as 50."

There are currently three caregivers sheltering some of the cats and seven have been trapped in the past week.

Debbie added: "We need to get them all captured but some will have to trap, neuter and release some of them as we don't have the space to look after them.

"Winter could be beneficial for us as they may tend to stay in one place which would make it easier as at the moment they are all over the place.

"The main message we want to get out is for people to neuter their pets to stop this from happening."

The ultimate aim of CCG is to get all of the cats off the street and find them homes were possible.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:41 pm

Missing cat Big Ginge reunited with Birmingham couple after 10 years

A couple have been reunited with their cat 10 years after he went missing from their narrowboat.

Big Ginge was last seen by owners Colin Clayton and Eva Bellamy in 2011 while on their honeymoon near Fradley Junction - 25 miles from their Birmingham home.

Despite usually hopping on and off the boat, he disappeared and the couple registered him as missing.

They were shocked to receive a call to say he had been found in Staffordshire.

The couple's three cats, Weasel and her offspring Diesel and Big Ginge, then three, were used to living on the canal and went on and off the boat.

Mr Clayton said there had "never been an issue" with the cats finding their way home and then the other two cats came back without Big Ginge.

The couple stayed another five days searching before registering him as missing on his microchip.

Earlier this year, Cats Protection, Lichfield and Tamworth branch, said the team became aware of a stray in Lichfield, who they nicknamed Marmalade.

Sue Hocknell from the branch said: "Over time a local man fed him and gradually Marmalade began to trust him.

"I then got a call to say Marmalade had ventured into his flat and that he had a lump on his flank.

"I managed to get a quick vet appointment and that's when we discovered his true identity."

The lump was not found to be serious and Big Ginge is now back in his original home, but mystery surrounds where he has been over the last decade.

Mr Clayton added: "For now we will be keeping him indoors.

"Big Ginge has had enough stress in his life and we are confident it will all work out."

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:57 pm

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:51 pm

Cat 'abandoned in labour' in Coventry looking for new home with her kittens

A 'fantastic' group of cats are looking for a new home after a 'rocky start in life.' Mum Bianca was said to have been 'abandoned during labour.'

Bianca and her young kittens are in 'desperate need' of a loving home, the RSPCA said. Anyone who takes them on will need to 'understand that the new mum may need guidance to help raise her litter'.

Officials at the RSPCA said the young kittens may also need supplementary feeding. It means they will be able to grow and 'have the best start in life.'

A spokesman for the RSPCA said on Facebook: “Beautiful Bianca was sadly abandoned during labour, this fantastic mum and her kittens are in desperate need of a loving foster home that understands that this young mum may need some guidance and assistance to help raise her litter.

“Bianca and her gentle sweet family deserve nothing more than love, a warm home, full bellies and much more after their rocky start in life. Thank you all so much for all your support.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous