For cat lovers only...

Anything that doesn't fit comfortably in the other sections

Re: For cat lovers only...

Postby dutchman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:43 am

Cat food urgently recalled by Pets At Home after reports of sudden collapse, fitting and twitching

Pets At Home has issued a national recall of some types of dry cat food after reports of animals experiencing sudden collapses and spasms.

Three cats needed to be seen by vets just weeks after starting to eat the products when they were all hit by "sudden collapse, fitting, widespread twitching and general unsteadiness".

The four products being recalled are part of the AVA range which the firm describes as "veterinary approved".

They are: AVA Mature Cat Chicken (2kg), AVA Mature Cat Chicken (4kg), AVA Senior Cat Chicken 2kg, and AVA Adult Cat Neutered Indoor (1.5kg).

A statement on the company's website says: "We are sorry to inform you that we are recalling these AVA products from our range of dry cat food.

"An investigation has revealed that, in the four affected products, the level of thiamine (vitamin B1) was much lower than we had specified. Testing confirmed only these four products are affected.

"We are aware of three cats which, sadly, became seriously unwell four to six weeks after switching to one of the affected products and required veterinary care.

"All three cats exhibited symptoms of sudden collapse, fitting, widespread twitching and general unsteadiness which are not the classic symptoms of thiamine deficiency."

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:07 pm

Do you know Bruce the cat? He's more than 350 miles away from home - in SCOTLAND

Do you recognise this mischievous moggy? Because the Coventry kitty has ended up more than 350 miles from where his home is.

According to North Ayrshire Cats Protection's Facebook page, Bruce has been visiting a road in Largs, in North Ayrshire - 358 miles from where his chip is registered.

Cats Protection have scanned Bruce, and found a microchip, which is saying his owner is registered in Coventry.

He has been wandering around and visiting the residents of Gogoside Road in Largs, which is further north than GLASGOW.

Has this moggy gone on a very long adventure, or have the owners not registered their new details?

A spokesman from Cats Protection said: "‘Bruce’ the cat on our North Ayrshire Facebook page is not currently in our care, but we have posted his photo and details in the hope that if his owners are in Largs they will come forward.

"His microchip was registered to an owner in Coventry, and we are helping to get the word out on social media in the Coventry area to see if we can find his owners that way.

"We hope that Bruce is soon reunited with his owners and would like to remind cat owners of the importance of keeping microchip details up to date so if their cat goes missing their microchip can quickly identify and reunite them."

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sat May 06, 2017 4:49 pm

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed May 24, 2017 2:25 pm

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:04 am

Hypnocat?

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Why is this Nuneaton feline the cat's whiskers?

A Nuneaton feline has proven to be the cat's whiskers – having been chosen as one of the faces of a national charity’s calendar.

Louis is officially Cats Protection’s face of June in its Cats Calendar 2018.

It showcases cats adopted through the charity’s UK-wide adoption centres and volunteer-run branches.

Louis was adopted by Ann Hutchinson and her husband because they hoped to give a home to a cat who might otherwise have taken a long time to find a new owner.

Ann, who adopted Louis from Cats Protection’s (CP) Coventry branch, said: “Louis came to live with us in April 2016. We lost our rescue cat Holly the year before and it took us some time to recover. Nevertheless, we decided that another cat was what we wanted to turn our house into a home again.

"We were looking for an older cat and one that maybe lived indoors, as we knew that these were two things that often stopped people taking them on. Looking on the CP website there was only one cat that fit the bill and that was eight-year-old Louis. So he came to live with us.

“He has now become an outdoor cat again, enjoying our big garden and sitting watching the goldfish in the pond. He is a loving cat and if he doesn’t get attention he will literally pick up your hand to stroke his head."

She concluded: "My husband wasn’t too sure whether another cat would fill Holly’s place and was very sceptical, but he now thinks he’s the best thing since sliced bread, and wouldn’t part with him for the world.”

The calendar costs £4.99 and is available to buy from the charity’s nation-wide chain of retail shops, as well as online at http://bit.ly/CatCalendarShop and helps raise much-needed funds for all the cats and kittens in the charity’s care who are looking for new homes.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Elderly cat, 17, finally finds its way home after going missing for 13 years

An elderly cat has finally found its way home after it went missing for more than a decade.

Janet Adamowicz was heartbroken when beloved Boo disappeared unexpectedly in 2005 from her home in Harrogate, West Yorks.

But she was astounded to receive a call telling her the tabby cat had been found 40 miles away in Pocklington, East Yorks.

The married step-mum-of-two said: ‘I got a call on Thursday to say I had a cat missing.

‘I said “I don’t think I do, they’re both here” – but they said we’ve looked on the system it says you own a cat called Boo.

‘I thought it was weird, but I couldn’t believe it when I got to the vets and they had her there – and she still remembered me.

‘I don’t know where she had been, I think possibly a stray but kept being fed by strangers – or catching her own food.’

When Boo went missing aged just four Mrs Adamowicz plastered missing posters of her to lamposts and put an advert in the local paper.

But after a year she gave up hope and eventually decided to give a home to two other cats, three-legged Ollie in 2008 and Tessie in 2014.

She said: ‘Boo was very lively as a young kitten and enjoyed the outdoors and adventuring – but would always return home.

‘We don’t know how she got all those 40 miles, it could have been many number of reasons.

‘She has done well as a 17-year-old cat to last that long as a stray cat – it really is remarkable.

‘Despite only being five-years-old she still remembers me and has been my shadow ever since coming home.

‘The other two cats are not impressed, but hopefully Boo is finally home for good.’

The 17-year-old cat was brought to Wicstun Vets in York – and despite being a little dehydrated and weary was in general good health.

The vets urged everyone to have their cats microchipped.

A spokesperson at Wicstun said: ‘Somehow she has travelled over 40 miles from home – she might have done that last week or 13 years ago.

‘It’s not uncommon for cats to nap in vans, sadly waking up to find themselves many miles away from where they should be.

‘However, Boo recognised her mum straight away and within minutes the two were thoroughly enjoying plenty of face rubs, cuddles and meows.

‘Let us reassure you that there wasn’t a dry eye in the building.

‘All thanks to a microchip implanted 17 years ago and keeping details up to date.’

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:12 pm

:D
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Cat lover wanted for dream job living rent free on Greek island

Caring cat lovers have been invited to apply for their dream job - getting paid to live rent-free on a Greek island caring for rescued moggies.

The new role is at the God's Little People Cat Rescue home, on Syros, which cares for 55 stray and feral cats.

But the couple who currently run the sanctuary are moving on - and are looking for a replacement.

The new job includes a "free" home overlooking the Aegean, all expenses paid, and £320 a month for part-time hours.

The post has caused an online stir among fans of felines, with many commenting that it is their "idea of heaven".

Joan Bowell, who is originally from Denmark, has been running the sanctuary since 2010 when she and her husband moved to the island for health reasons.

Posting on God's Little People Cat Rescue Facebook page, Joan, 51, wrote: "Paid job offer with cats - this is genuine and NOT a joke - friends, please feel free to verify.

"A very special position and living circumstance on offer on a little Greek island called Syros (a small paradise no less) for a mature and genuinely passionate cat lover who knows how to handle many cats and would love their company."

She added: "I am looking for someone who can take over the daily running of my Greek cat sanctuary in my absence.

"You will have 55 cats in your care and need to be able to overview them all, and feed and medicate. big added bonus if you're trained vet or nurse."

The job also includes a small semi-detached house as part of the sanctuary, with all bills fully paid. As are expenses for the cats - including veterinary care.

Stunning photographs show the mischievous moggies relaxing on hales of bay and exploring the island they call home.

The island home also has stunning picturesque views of the Aegean sea, and a beach a stone's throw away.

The advert added: "You will be expected to take the cat to the vet in case of illness and therefore will need to be able to drive a manual car.

"We are located in a secluded nature preserved area which is very tranquil and quiet in winter time but busy during the summer.

"You'll no doubt thrive best if you are the type of person who appreciates nature and likes tranquility - and rest comfortably in your own company. That said, you'll never feel lonely in the company of the cats and you'll be expected to live with a small handful of cats in your house."

Joan added that the job would be best suited for someone over 45 years old with a "heart of gold".

She wrote: "Apart from feeding the cats, the cats will also need heaps of love and attention.

"You will at times be expected to trap or handle a feral or non-sociable cat, so knowing something about a cat's psychology too is important and cat-whispering skills should come natural to you."

The position offered is long term, but with a minimum six months required - and a two to four week volunteering trial.

The successful applicant will take over the sanctuary from November 1 2018.

To find out more about the job, click here

I know at least one girl who would love it! :rolling:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:46 pm

Coventry cat wins national award

A cat who helped pull a Coventry teenager 'back from the brink' following a sudden family bereavement has won a national award.

Finn Hackeson has Asperger syndrome which made it particularly difficult to process his father's death in June 2018 leading to him becoming depressed and withdrawn.

It was eight-year-old adopted cat Jeffree who had a "life-changing effect" helping the 14-year-old to cope with his loss and at London's Savoy, Jeffree beat hundreds of other nominees to be named National Cat of the Year 2019.

Finn's mum, Gayle, was present to collect the award on Thursday, August 8.

She said: "I’m thrilled Jeffree has won, he’s most definitely an absolute star in our household.

"I hope that through his story more people will see what an incredible support cats can be for both children and adults with autism. Cats don’t judge, they don’t rush you to talk about your feelings and they accept people the way they are – and that really is priceless.

“Children with Asperger’s can find death particularly difficult to process and Finn really struggled. Within a few months, he became locked in a cycle of despair and depression.

“I was prepared to do anything to help him and, because we’re animal lovers, we adopted Jeffree. I don’t think I really had any other options available then, he was my big hope of pulling Finn back from the brink – and he totally did it.

“From the moment they saw each other, they had a connection. They were instantly inseparable and the fog lifted around Finn. He could smile again, have fun and his outlook completely changed.

“To think how far Finn has come is incredible and I don’t know of any other therapy that could have had this effect. It’s all down to this amazing little black cat.”

dutchman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous