Actor John Hurt dies, aged 77

Actor John Hurt dies, aged 77

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:06 am

Sir John Hurt, the two-time Oscar nominated star of the Elephant Man, has died, aged 77 after a battling with cancer.

The Derbyshire-born star has been an enigmatic and much-beloved presence on the screen for more than six decades.

The Harry Potter actor had recently battled pancreatic cancer but, in October 2015 was given the all clear.

At the time he said: 'I am overjoyed, I am thrilled. It all looks great for the future, it's fantastic.'

In July that year he received a knighthood, and said he wished his parents had been alive to see him presented with the honour.

He added: 'It does make one inordinately proud.'

Hurt is survived by his wife of 12 years Anwen Rees-Myers.

Hurt rose to fame in A Man For All Seasons in 1966 and then stared in Hollywood blockbusters such as Alien, the adaptation of George Orwell's 1984 and the Harry Potter franchise.

The double Oscar nominee also had prominent TV roles in Doctor Who, the Naked Civil Servant and The Gruffalo.

Hurt recently starred in the Oscar nominated biopic of President John F. Kennedy's widow, Jackie, which is currently showing in cinemas.

In his early years he was notorious for his wild lifestyle and once describe his career as not bad 'for an old drunk'.

In more recent years the actor has made star turns in the likes of the blockbuster Harry Potter series, playing the wandmaker Ollivander from 2001-2011.

He also starred in the Oscar-nominated Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in 2011 alongside Gary Oldman, and even had a turn in the BBC’s revamped Doctor Who as the haunted ‘War Doctor’ in 2013.

He was still working up to his death, having been attached to World War II drama Darkest Hour, which saw him playing besieged PM Neville Chamberlain alongside Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill and Ben Mendelsohn as King George VI.

Phenomenal talent, I last watched him in the 2013 sci-fi movie Snowpiercer.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Films & Video