Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:44 pm
Everest has climbed to the summit of the UK box office on its first weekend on release.
The mountain drama, about a 1996 expedition devastated by severe weather conditions, ended Tom Hardy's brief reign atop the charts with Legend.
Jason Clarke, Jake Gyllenhaal and Josh Brolin lead the cast of the film, which took in £3.1 million to claim first place at UK cinemas.
Legend slips down to second place, while Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials is at number three on its second weekend on release.
M Night Shyamalan's The Visit and Inside Out round out the top five.
Elsewhere, the chart sees new entries from Robert Redford's A Walk in the Woods, the Battle of Britain at 75 live concert broadcast and children's comedy Bill.
The UK box office top 10 in full:
1. (-) Everest - £3,160,154
2. (1) Legend - £2,446,860
3. (2) Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials - £1,510,494
4. (3) The Visit - £485,117
5. (5) Inside Out - £437,014
6. (4) Straight Outta Compton - £298,142
7. (9) Empire Strikes Back (Secret Cinema) - £281,600
8. (-) A Walk in the Woods - £252,175
9. (-) Battle of Britain at 75 - £225,943
10. (-) Bill - £221,807