Tue May 27, 2014 9:18 pm
X-Men: Days of Future Past has delivered the biggest opening weekend in the UK this year.
Bryan Singer's superhero sequel earned £9.1 million to easily see off competition from Godzilla and secure first place at the box office. Its debut edges out The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which premiered to £9 million earlier this year.
Days of Future Past has also posted the biggest UK debut of an X-Men movie to-date. The film's weekend haul beats X-Men: The Last Stand's £7.1 million earnings from 2006 and represents an uptick on recent entries The Wolverine (£4.6 million) and X-Men: First Class (£5.4 million).
X2 is the best-performing X-Men movie in the UK with a cumulative total of £20.7 million. Days of Future Past already looks on course to surpass that figure.
Elsewhere in the the top ten there are places at numbers four and five for Postman Past: The Movie and Blended respectively.
The Lego Movie also saw a surge in ticket sales over the Bank Holiday weekend, climbing up from number 22 to ten with £185,087.
The UK box office top ten in full:
1. (-) X-Men: Days of Future Past - £9,144,971
2. (1) Godzilla - £2,731,355
3. (2) Bad Neighbours - £1,222,235
4. (-) Postman Pat: The Movie - £774,750
5. (-) Blended - £688,547
6. (6) Rio 2 - £341,785
7. (4) The Other Woman - £335,059
8. (5) The Two Faces of January - £303,037
9. (3) The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - £255,482
10. (22) The Lego Movie - £185,087