Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:04 pm
Captain America: The Winter Soldier has topped the UK box office in its debut weekend on release.
The Marvel blockbuster saw off competition from Muppets Most Wanted to take first place with more than £6 million in ticket sales.
Captain America's total shows significant growth on the £2.9 million earned by predecessor The First Avenger on its opening weekend. However, the number trails behind the £15.7 million earned by The Avengers in 2012.
Last week's number one movie The Grand Budapest Hotel slips to number three, while Non-Stop and Need for Speed - down three spots from last week - round out the top five.
Elsewhere, the only other new release to make it into the top ten is Kellan Lutz's The Legend of Hercules, which lands at number nine with £189,881.
The UK box office top ten in full:
1. (-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier - £6,037,850
2. (-) Muppets Most Wanted - £2,214,906
3. (1) The Grand Budapest Hotel - £870,423
4. (5) Non-Stop - £360,226
5. (2) Need for Speed - £337,943
6. (3) The Lego Movie - £323,397
7. (4) 300: Rise of an Empire - £237,879
8. (6) Starred Up - £201,822
9. (-) The Legend of Hercules - £189,881
10. (7) A Long Way Down - £107,538