Is this important Death in Paradise character really leaving?

Is this important Death in Paradise character really leaving?

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:40 am

Is there an exit on the horizon?

When it comes to Death in Paradise exit rumours, the focus has been firmly on Ralf Little's tenure as DI Neville Parker.

But if we were the kind of astute detective that he is, we might have known to fix our eyes on another cast member.

While Neville seems to be bouncing back to life from the trauma of season 12 (which suggests he has no intention of leaving), mainstay character Marlon Pryce (Tahj Miles) is reluctantly embarking on another adventure, away from Saint Marie.

When Marlon's little sister, Jocelyn, is offered a scholarship in Kingston, Jamaica, he valiantly insists he will go with her, knowing that his mother needs to stay behind to take care of her own mother.

This he chooses to do at the expense of his career, knowing that there are no job openings on the police force in Kingston.

As episode four unfolds, we see Marlon lament over his decision, not wavering in his intentions to go, but struggling with the reality of giving up work as a police officer.

He may be resigned to finding other suitable employment, but his colleagues aren't about to admit defeat on his behalf.

After some impressive pulling of strings, Commissioner Selwyn (Don Warrington) is able to use his connections to secure Marlon a place on the force in Kingston (and by connections we mean returning character Sergeant "JP" Hooper, played by Tobi Bakare).

Celebratory hugs are passed all around at the end of the episode – but while they may be all smiles and full of joy, Marlon fans remain beside themselves.

At least – from a plot point of view – a bleak future in Kingston would mean the opportunity to stretch out his departure in order to resolve his situation.

But with everything all wrapped up in a neat bow, could Marlon really be leaving Death in Paradise?

Any fans looking to glean hopeful clues from the 'next episode' promo will be bitterly disappointed.

Not only is Miles Pryce noticeably absent from all of the clips, the Commissioner also makes mention of a new colleague. This suggests that, by the upcoming episode, Marlon will have already been replaced.

Actor Miles actually addressed the possibility of his exit back in February 2023.

When asked about the likelihood that Marlon would be killed off, Miles said (via Express): "I am happy with whatever makes sense for the show.

"At the end of the day, the show is the most important thing."

He also added, "Obviously as actors, we are selfish about our characters, and we want our characters to have the best storylines.

"But if my storyline doesn't work for the show and it doesn't fit in with the show's bigger picture then I wouldn't want that to happen.

"Whatever happens with my character I want it to work for the entire show.

"So if it makes sense for the show [for Marlon to be killed off] and for my character then that is what it is."

Thankfully Marlon isn't the murder-of-the-week victim, although some eyebrows were raised when he was cleaved on the head at the beginning of the episode.

His 'alive-and-well status' does leave room for him to return, should this new recruit not work out.

It also seems like there is still some unfinished romantic business between him and sergeant Naomi (Shantol Jackson).

Naomi may have explained away her impromptu Christmas kiss, but her seeking Marlon out with Hummingbird cupcakes just to tell him how much she's really, really going to miss him, wreaks of unresolved feelings.

Could that mean that Marlon's neat and tidy exit is not so wrapped up? Hopefully.

Miles' character offers a lightness and a joyful spirit that balances the quirky, serious natures of his other colleagues. A detective squad without Marlon would feel somewhat off-kilter.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Soaps