Sherrie Hewson learned of Coronation Street exit only hours after coming out of surgery

Sherrie Hewson learned of Coronation Street exit only hours after coming out of surgery

Postby dutchman » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:06 pm

Maureen Webster actress says she was axed very unexpectedly

Coronation Street star Sherrie Hewson has revealed that she found out she was being let go from her role on the ITV soap hours after having surgery on her eye, shortly after she had signed a new contract.

The actress played Maureen Webster on the soap between 1993 and 1997, eventually leaving when she ran away to Germany to marry Bill Webster.

Speaking on a new episode of Girl Talk with Melanie Blake earlier this week, Hewson revealed that the soap's producer at the time, Brian Park, had informed her of the decision to axe her character very soon after she had signed a new contract to stay on the show for another 12 months as Maureen.

Revealing that she had asked herself "What could I have done wrong?" when she found out the news, she added that the day she discovered that she was losing her job had already been a difficult one as she had suffered a medical emergency in the form of dark clouds in her left eye.

"At hospital they tried to get the blood and water out of my retina, [but it] didn't work," she said. "I went back to the studio and they went, 'Come on, you've got to do your scenes'.

"I finished the scene and came off and I was a little bit scared, because I didn't know what had happened to my eye and they said, 'Could you go and see Brian?' I went, 'Yeah, okay'.

"So I went to his office and opened the door and he went, 'Don't sit down'... and he said – bear in mind this is March and I've just signed a year's contract – 'Just to let you know that I've decided not to carry on with your character.'"

Hewson added that when she had pointed out that she had just committed to another year on the cobbles, Park had told her that she would finish that contract but would not be staying any longer.

She claims that he had then told her: "'Don't do all the press stuff, all the press has been done. And when you go downstairs there'll be press everywhere, because they know, but don't speak to them because it's already been done.'"

Hewson, who has also starred in Emmerdale as Lesley Meredith between 2004 and 2006, added that she was so shocked after hearing the news that she absent-mindedly took home a loaf of bread used as a prop at the corner shop – which resulted in some rather dramatic tabloid headlines.

"In my stupor I went to my shop and got my loaf of bread," she explained. "I came out and the headline was: 'Sherrie Hewson now on the breadline.'"

Hewson did later make a brief return to Corrie, appearing for a couple of episodes over the Christmas period in 2006 as she discovered that Bill was having an affair with Audrey Roberts.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Soaps