Coronation Street star Johnny Briggs passes away aged 85

Coronation Street star Johnny Briggs passes away aged 85

Postby dutchman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:22 pm

He is best known for playing lothario Mike Baldwin

Coronation Street legend Johnny Briggs has sadly passed away today (February 28) aged 85. The cobbles favourite played lothario Mike Baldwin on the soap for three decades between 1976 and 2006, appearing in a staggering 2,349 episodes.

In a statement his family said: "It is with great sadness that we announce the death of our father, Johnny Briggs. He passed away peacefully this morning after a long illness, with family by his side. He was 85.

"We politely ask for privacy at this time, so that we can quietly grieve as a family and remember the wonderful times we had with him. Thank you."

Briggs is, of course, well-remembered for his on-screen feud with William Roache's Ken Barlow after his affair with Deirdre Barlow (Anne Kirkbride). Upon his eventual exit from the soap in 2006, Mike had a heart attack and passed away in Ken's arms on the cobbles.

John Whiston, MD Continuing Drama and Head of ITV in the North, said in a statement: "The whole Coronation Street family is deeply saddened by the death of Johnny Briggs. For years Johnny was right at the centre of the show, playing the part of Mike Baldwin and bringing to the role huge energy, dynamism, professionalism and credibility.

William Roache paid touching mention of the rivalry between their characters in a statement: "So sorry to hear about Johnny. Mike Baldwin and Ken Barlow were arch enemies for many years, but as an actor, Johnny was impeccable, always good, and I was so fortunate to have worked with him for so many years. He was a strong character who will be greatly missed. I send my love to Johnny on his journey and to all those who are bound to miss him, he was an iconic Coronation Street character. Love you Johnny!"

Helen Worth, known as Gail Platt on the cobbles, said in a statement: "I am very sorry to hear the sad news, I have many happy memories of working together with Johnny. Mike Baldwin was one of the street's most memorable characters."

Audrey Roberts actress Sue Nicholls also shared: "I am very sad to hear the news. Johnny was a great friend, I knew him before I started on Coronation Street and he was always great fun to be around. I have been watching classic Coronation Street recently and it has brought home to me what a truly great actor he was.

"He played the part of Mike Baldwin so well that, despite all Mike's ducking and diving, you were always on his side. Although he left the show fifteen years ago he will always be part of the street and its history. I send my love and condolences to his family."

Kevin Kennedy, known for his portrayal of Curly Watts, said: "Johnny Briggs was a nice guy and absolutely fascinating when he told stories of his extensive film career, sleep well buddy."

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coronation Street star Johnny Briggs passes away aged 85

Postby rebbonk » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:40 pm

R.I.P.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby rebbonk » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:46 pm

rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:56 pm

Kevin Kennedy, known for his portrayal of Curly Watts, said: "Johnny Briggs was a nice guy and absolutely fascinating when he told stories of his extensive film career"

People forget he appeared in 38 movies between 1947 and 1976, mostly war films. :applause:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:18 pm

Crossroads too. Cliff Leyton IIRC?

No hiding place, Sgt Russell.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:31 pm

R.I.P
Melisandre

Return to Soaps