Corrie's Betty nostalgic over soap panto

Corrie's Betty nostalgic over soap panto

Postby dutchman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:22 pm

Coronation Street veteran Betty Driver has admitted that filming for the soap's forthcoming pantomime scenes was like a trip down memory lane.

On Christmas Eve, viewers will see the actress's character Betty Williams teaming up with Weatherfield favourites like Becky McDonald (Katherine Kelly) and Sean Tully (Antony Cotton) for a production of Cinderella in the Rovers.

Barmaid Betty also took to the stage for a version of Cinderella at the pub back in 1975, appearing alongside classic characters Bet Lynch (Julie Goodyear) and Mavis Riley (Thelma Barlow) among others. Like this year, she starred as the Fairy Godmother in the show.

Speaking about the upcoming festive scenes in an interview with The Mirror, Driver revealed: "It took me back to when we did Cinderella in 1975. Mind you, I think my dress was a lot nicer this time around. It was fabulous with a gold bodice, a tiara and a magic wand.

"Last time I looked a swine. The dress was all white and very virginal. This time I got a throne to sit on too and they threw sparkle all over me - I was finding it in all sorts of peculiar places afterwards.

"We did it in the Rovers, so it was quite a tight squeeze. But the young ones in the show are such a great bunch and we all have such a good time. We gel as a group and they treat me just like I am their age, which I love."

Reflecting on the Rovers' 1975 panto, the 89-year-old added: "Lots of people were in it - Annie Walker, Bet Lynch, Mavis, Deirdre Barlow, Alf Roberts and Albert Tatlock. Filming brought back lots of memories. I miss them all."

Meanwhile, Driver also confirmed that she "definitely" expects to still be in the programme next Christmas.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Soaps