Demolition firm to take axe to Coronation Street

Demolition firm to take axe to Coronation Street

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Britain's most famous street to relocate to Salford Quays after ITV resumes development talks
The outdoor set of Coronation Street, in Quay Street, Manchester, is to be demolished.

Britain's most famous street is to be demolished. Coronation Street's outdoor set, including the Rovers Return Inn, will move from Quay Street in Manchester city centre to a site near Manchester United's Old Trafford stadium after ITV resumed talks to relocate its offices.

Following the appointment of new ITV chairman Archie Norman, negotiations have begun again to relocate the soap's famous pub and cobbled streets to the £600m Media City UK in Salford Quays.

The existing site has been the setting for some of the most memorable scenes in television history, including numerous arguments between Ena Sharples and Elsie Tanner. With the advent of high-definition television, producers are keen to update the set as the new technology makes it easier to spot worn-out sets.

Tracey Barlow, the fictional daughter of the soap's most enduring resident, Ken Barlow, murdered her boyfriend Charlie Stubbs on the street. It was also the location for numerous cat-fights, many of them involving Bet Lynch, the former landlady at the Rover and the street's most famous pint-puller.

Bryan Gray, the chairman of the site's developers, Peel Media, said: "ITV have a particular requirement in Coronation Street. I can confirm that e've offered them a package."

ITV's veteran soap will celebrate its 50th anniversary this year.
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Demolition firm to take axe to Coronation Street

Postby pollyanna » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:22 pm

I've actually visited the Manchester site. It's a must for all Corrie fans. It's actually quite small - but well worth a visit.

They also have a replica built near Blackpool South Pier. Can't believe it's been going for 50 yrs - I actually remember it from the start - and I'm still watching it :D
pollyanna

Return to Soaps