Stella English hired as next 'Apprentice'

Stella English hired as next 'Apprentice'

Postby dutchman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:59 pm

Stella English has been declared the winner of a job with Lord Alan Sugar in this year's final of The Apprentice.

Leading a team consisting of fired candidates Joanna Riley, Christopher Farrell, Melissa Cohen and Paloma Vivanco, the 30-year-old mother of two squared off against fellow finalist Chris Bates in a task to create a new brand of alcoholic drink to pitch in front of industry executives.

English’s product of a bourbon based spirit infused with honey, orange zest and spices initially drew scepticism from Sugar and the executives due to its unusual flavour and bottle, but she received praise for opening the market up to females and coming up with the powerful brand name ‘Urbon’. Bates meanwhile created the brand ‘Prism’, which came complete with an eye catching triangular bottle but was let down by the feminine colour of the drink itself.

When asked by Sugar why she should be hired, English argued: “I think I've been very consistent in everything that I've done. I've been so used to people knowing what my capabilities are I haven’t spoken up enough for myself.

"I’ve got more skills than what have been revealed here. I’m somebody that constantly comes up with new ideas and I’m used to driving things, I’m not somebody that has to be given instruction.

"I've got a family to support and I’m walking away from a job which I do enjoy but that in itself shows is how much I want this. I didn’t come here to win the competition I came to get the job and I think you’d be mad not to employ me.

She finished: "Everything that I want I always get, I will not let go. That’s a passion that enables to do things that you never thought were possible."

During the questioning, English found herself in one last boardroom battle after she angered Bates by suggesting that he was lacking in passion.

The young investment banker hit back: "I'm not gonna comment on you 'cos at the end of the day what you bring to the table that’s up to you, but you can't tell me how much passion I have."

After revealing that he was torn between English’s business experience and Bate’s youthful enthusiasm, Lord Sugar gave his final summation of the candidates.

"What I've seen from you Stella is clearly you are a great organiser of people, well liked and determined to get on with whatever your asked to do. I also have taken note [that at] an early age you never had these qualifications and then went out of the way to train yourself, that shows me a lot of determination."

Turning to Bates, he commented: "You're young but that could be a good thing. You've shown throughout the course of this 12 weeks some great entrepreneurial ideas. Some of them a bit wacky and some of them quite good.

"One of you is going to be very disappointed. I don’t worry about the other person because I think we have two great people here and can hold their head up high whatever. Stella, you’re hired."

Climbing into her black cab having secured the job, English beamed: "I’ve always believed it in my heart that I could do something great. It's just convincing other people, but I have now and nobody can take that away from me.

"I'm so excited about the future, it's all been worth it. All that blood, sweat and tears, I've got through to the end and I'm just so happy."
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)