Ann Widdecombe leaves 'Strictly'

Ann Widdecombe leaves 'Strictly'

Postby dutchman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:40 pm

Ann Widdecombe has become the ninth celebrity eliminated from Strictly Come Dancing.

The popular MP and her professional partner Anton du Beke - who have finished last on the judges' leaderboard for six consecutive weeks and broken the record for the lowest ever score on five different dances - were finally given their marching orders by the public after finding themselves in the bottom two alongside Scott Maslen and Natalie Lowe.

The studio audience cheered and Widdecombe nodded in acceptance as host Tess Daly revealed the result of the viewers' vote.

"I feel that we had a jolly good time, I would never have expected to get to week ten," Widdecombe stated. "This day was going to come. [The judges are] delighted.

"The thing I'll miss most is that on Monday there won't be any training. It's been tremendous, I've really had the time of my life and this guy (Du Beke) has been fantastic."

Asked to sum up his partnership with the cumbersome politician, Du Beke insisted: "I've had the most incredible time. Ann has been just incredibly wonderful, I've had the greatest time because of this woman."

Earlier when co-presenter Claudia Winkleman expressed her surprise at the result, Widdecombe argued: "I certainly could foresee this happening. It was coming at some stage.

"Thank you viewers for keeping me in when those four icebergs (the judges) would have got rid of me."

When pressed for the reason that viewers hadn't enjoyed Widdecombe's Hello Dolly!-themed American smooth on yesterday's Movie Night show, judge Craig Revel Horwood argued: "It's clear to me that the public have finally come to their senses, and I do trust they will choose the best dancer in the end."

Strictly Come Dancing continues with a special 'swingathon' and a double elimination on Friday at 9pm on BBC One.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)