ITV signs new 'X Factor', 'BGT' deals

ITV signs new 'X Factor', 'BGT' deals

Postby dutchman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:27 pm

ITV has agreed new three-year deals for The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent.

The channel has also secured the exclusive broadcast rights to the American version of The X Factor, which will be shown on ITV2 alongside America's Got Talent.

ITV's deal renews its collaboration with Syco Entertainment and FremantleMedia following a large amount of speculation about the formats. The future for the UK reality shows was thrown into doubt after Piers Morgan confirmed his exit from Britain's Got Talent and Simon Cowell announced plans to launch a US X Factor in autumn 2011.

However, this latest development means that Cowell will remain with the broadcaster until 2013. It has also been confirmed that Britain's Got Talent will return in spring 2011 as usual, while the UK X Factor will further be back in its regular slot in autumn 2011.

ITV2 spinoff shows Britain's Got More Talent and The Xtra Factor will also return.

Speaking about the deal, Cowell said: "I am thrilled this deal has been concluded with ITV to enable our relationship to continue to develop. I am committed to making sure both shows get bigger and better every year.

"I have a lot to thank ITV for; they have been key in making The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent the UK's biggest television shows."

ITV director of television Peter Fincham commented: "The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent are the shows that have helped define the last decade of television in the UK and have become more than just a talking point - they are a national obsession, and I'm delighted that our viewers can continue to enjoy them on ITV over the next three years.

"I'm especially pleased to have agreed a deal that cements our successful relationship with Simon Cowell, Syco and FremantleMedia over a longer term. I look forward to working with them as we continue to develop both shows and keep them at the top of their game."

X Factor and Britain's Got Talent have been ITV1's biggest entertainment shows in recent years. Their 2009 series finales both scored over 19 million viewers.

Talkback Thames interim CEO Sara Geater said: "We are very proud of our productions and the incredibly talented team behind them. We are delighted with ITV's commitment to the shows and that our successful relationship with Syco continues to flourish."

ITV will be exclusive sales agents for TV, online and interactive properties for the two shows and has also reached a revenue share agreement over iTunes downloads for the live performances from the programmes.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)