Strictly Come Dancing judge Len Goodman dies, aged 78

Strictly Come Dancing judge Len Goodman dies, aged 78

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:14 pm

He was one of the original judges when the show started in 2004

Len Goodman has died at the age of 78.

The Strictly Come Dancing judge had been battling bone cancer, and passed away in a hospice.

A spokesperson for Len confirmed the news, saying he’d died on Saturday night (April 22).

"I can confirm he died peacefully over the weekend surrounded by his family," she added. "A much-loved husband, father and grandfather who will be sorely missed by family, friends and all who knew him."

BBC director-general Tim Davie paid tribute, with a statement reading: "Len Goodman was a wonderful, warm entertainer who was adored by millions.

"He appealed to all ages and felt like a member of everyone's family.

"Len was at the very heart of Strictly's success. He will be hugely missed by the public and his many friends and family."

Len first appeared as a Strictly judge on the very first series back in 2004, alongside Arlene Phillips, Craig Revel Horwood and Bruno Tonioli. He also joined the US version, Dancing with the Stars, the following year.

After deciding it was too much judging both shows, he stepped away from Strictly in 2016, being replaced as head judge by Shirley Ballas.

"I'd much prefer to leave the show with people saying, 'Oh what a shame Len’s going’, rather than ‘Thank heavens he's off'," he said at the time.

He announced his retirement from DWTS last year, saying: "Whilst we're all getting excited and looking forward so much to the finale next week, it will also be with a touch of sadness as this will be my last season judging on Dancing with the Stars.

"I've been with the show since it started in 2005, and it has been a huge pleasure to be a part of such a wonderful show, but I've decided I'd like to spend more time with my grandchildren and family back in Britain."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)