Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:44 pm
Glitter and sequins at the ready
Strictly Come Dancing has confirmed this year's pairings, with two same-sex couples competing for the first time.
Tonight's (September 23) delayed launch show kicked off Strictly season in style, with an impressive opening ballroom dance from this year's pros.
However, it was the all-important pairings that took precedence in the series premiere, and among them were two same-sex couples – namely Richie Anderson and Giovanni Pernice, and Jayde Adams and Karen Hauer.
"Could you get anyone better than Mr Giovanni?" Richie admitted upon finding out his partner. "I feel like I'm the envy of the British public right now!"
Giovanni was equally enthused, declaring: "He's got A LOT of energy, I'm very very happy!"
Comedian Jayde noted of her partner: "Karen IS Strictly", while the dancer added: "I'm absolutely excited, I have so many ideas, too many ideas, this is going to be a golden moment for me."
Here are the rest of this year's pairings:
The Strictly launch show, which was pre-recorded, was originally meant to air last weekend, though was delayed due to Queen Elizabeth II's death. The first live show is still going ahead as planned tonight (Saturday, September 24).
- Ellie Simmonds and Nikita Kuzmin
- Tyler West and Dianne Buswell
- Kym Marsh and Graziano Di Prima
- Will Mellor and Nancy Xu
- Helen Skelton and Gorka Márquez
- James Bye and Amy Dowden
- Fleur East and Vito Coppola
- Hamza Yassin and Jowita Przystal
- Matt Goss and Nadiya Bychkova
- Ellie Taylor and Johannes Radebe
- Molly Rainford and Carlos Gu
- Tony Adams and Katya Jones
- Kaye Adams and Kai Widdrington