Strictly Come Dancing announces Aljaž Škorjanec has quit the show

Strictly Come Dancing announces Aljaž Škorjanec has quit the show

Postby dutchman » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:55 am

"I made the tough decision that Strictly 2021 would be my last"

Aljaž Škorjanec has announced he won't be returning to Strictly Come Dancing this year. The star initially joined as a professional back in 2013, winning the 11th series in 2013 with model Abbey Clancey.

Sharing a statement on his Instagram on Monday (March 28), the 32-year-old uploaded a collage of photos from his time on the show and wrote: "On a beautiful sunny day in May 2013 one phone call changed my life forever!

"It went like this... we would like to offer you a position on @bbcstrictly as a professional dancer. A dream became a reality and it was the biggest opportunity for a 23 year old boy from Slovenia.

"It didn’t matter how many beautiful ballrooms I performed in during my competitive career, stepping onto the sacred Strictly floor was the most nervous I had ever been."

He continued: "A little while ago I made the tough decision that Strictly 2021 would be my last.

"The show has given me an opportunity and freedom to create and express myself in front of millions of people every weekend for the last 9 years.

"The love and support I got from the team of producers was second to none. Louise Rainbow, Sarah James, Kim Winston, Jack Gledhill are just a few of the unsung heroes behind the success of the show - I am forever grateful to them!

"Being a part of a group of professionals that inspire and push you to be better every step of the way is humbling and I will carry that inspiration with me forever."

He then admitted that "every year the lineup of dancers would change but one thing stayed the same, WE WERE THE BEST!", noting, "And this is one thing that I know will never change on Strictly!"

Aljaž then went on to praise all the people he's worked on the show with, telling his followers that the series has the "BEST backstage team" as he thanked "the hair and make-up team, costume department, lighting, sound, props and special effects" and camera operators for their hard work.

He also thanked his "beautiful partners - Abbey Clancy, Alison Hammond, Helen George, Daisy Lowe, Kate Silverton, Gemma Atkinson, Emma Weymouth, Clara Amfo and Sara Davies," for dancing with him.

"It's hard to put into words how many beautiful memories we have had. I LOVE YOU ALL!" he continued, before sharing a touching message for his wife Janette Manrara.

"Your talent and selflessness knows no bounds. We were dating when we started together on the show and now we are husband and wife. We got to perform with Andrea Bocelli, Michael Buble, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, BBC Symphony Orchestra.. moments I will keep in my heart forever. I LOVE YOU!" he told her.

The dancer then turned his attention to his fans, writing: "And finally, thank YOU, the people that watch Strictly who have been so kind to me all these years. Every comment, vote, kind message never went unnoticed. You are the reason we all do it, thank you!

"I have lots of exciting stuff planned that I will fill you in on soon. I can't wait to see what the future holds!"

He then signed off with that iconic phrase: "KEEEEEP DANCING!"

Aljaž married fellow pro dancer Janette in 2013. She recently left the show to present spin-off Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two alongside Rylan Clark.

Strictly Come Dancing airs on BBC One.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)