The Masked Singer UK airs dramatic double elimination

The Masked Singer UK airs dramatic double elimination

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:30 am

Who has been unmasked?

The Masked Singer UK unleashed a double elimination twist during last night's (January 29) instalment.

Presented, as always, by Joel Dommett, the judging panel of Mo Gilligan, Davina McCall, Jonathan Ross and Rita Ora grew by one with the inclusion of a guest judge – Years and Years' lead singer Olly Alexander, who TV fans will recognise from It's a Sin.

But you came to read about the celebrities cloaked in mystery, of course, and this time it was actress Jaime Winstone and ex-footballer Michael Owen revealing themselves as Firework and Doughnuts respectively.

Laughing at close pal Rita for not guessing her identity, Jaime revealed that the clue involving Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio and Steven Spielberg was connected to her dad Ray (who's worked with all three in the film business) and her days working as a runner before she moved into acting.

On why she decided to take part in this year's series, she then told Joel: "For me it was a no-brainer, just you know for my son."

After the show, she said she found the panel's guesses entertaining, adding: "Rita actually guessed me once but convinced herself that I would never do this show.

"I really wanted to have some fun with what I do for a living and I’m so happy I did, it has unlocked my inner pop star. The young Jaime in me was smiling cheek to cheek. "

Soon after, both Mo and Jonathan were wearing massive grins when Michael took off his Doughnuts head – they'd guessed it was him under there.

"Oh, loved it," he said to Joel of his experience. "When I came out here for the first time... I thought taking a penalty for England in a World Cup was nerve-wracking, this was the worst thing by a mile! So I just thought, go for it!"

Asked who this would surprise the most, Michael laughed: "Every football fan! They'll think, 'Whaaat?!'"

From smashing in winners at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium all the way to The Masked Singer stage – what a career twist.

Speaking about his experience after the big reveal, Michael added: "I have to admit I was petrified. A lot of people on the show are professional singers or have had some training, but singing as you can tell is probably the least of my strengths.

"I can't recall ever having nerves like I had on the first show – my whole body went numb when I went out and saw the crowd for the first time. I knew I was useless and it took an awful lot of courage but it also really helped having the costume on – I'm not sure I could have done it without that."

The Masked Singer airs on Saturday nights on ITV.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)