Strictly Come Dancing names its 2021 winners...

Strictly Come Dancing names its 2021 winners...

Postby dutchman » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:27 pm

John and Johannes? Or Rose and Giovanni?

Following a closely-contested final on Saturday evening (December 18), Rose Ayling-Ellis and professional dance partner Giovanni Pernice won the public vote and were crowned winners of this year's series, lifting the glitterball trophy. John Whaite and Johannes Radebe were runners-up.

Rose said to Giovanni: "I just want to say you are so amazing. You pushed me to believe in myself more than I believe in myself. You are an incredible teacher, but not just that... you are a wonderful friend.

"We've gone through a lot, and I just want you to know no matter what happens, no matter how busy we get, I want to you to know you've always got a piece of my heart. You really do."

Giovanni said winning felt "incredible," adding to Rose: "I have to say thank you to this beautiful young lady that made all my dreams come true. You became the best, best dancer, the best teammate I could ask for. You are a dream, Rose, you really are a dream. So, thank you for everything."

"A lot of people think that deaf people can't hear the music, enjoy the music, and enjoy dancing," she said to the BBC at the start of the series. "I thought it would be a good platform for me to break that stereotype.

"I have a hearing aid, so I pick up some of the music and I can hear the beat. I can hear someone singing, but I can't identify exact words. I can also feel the vibrations. I will be focusing on reading my partner's body language plus counting in my head, which will help me with timing."

Rose and Giovanni chose to reprise their widely-praised Couple's Choice routine in honour of d/Deaf people on Saturday night, along with the judges' choice of their Frozen-themed Movies Week quickstep. They also performed a showdance to 'The Rose' by Bette Midler.

John, a former Great British Bake Off winner, was part of Strictly's first ever male same-sex pairing, alongside his professional dance partner Johannes. Speaking to Digital Spy recently, John said how "extremely humbling" he has found learning that his and Johannes' dances have inspired people to come out to their loved ones.

"That's what we wanted to do when we joined forces, Johannes and I, to become this partnership," said John.

"We hoped that it would be bigger than us, because it is bigger than us. The message we are giving off is much bigger than the two of us, and it will last longer than the two of us lasts."

John and Johannes chose to revisit their Pirates of the Caribbean-themed pasa doble from Movies Week, along with the judges' choice of their rumba. Their showdance was set to 'You've Got the Love' by The Source and Candi Staton.

The final was originally intended to feature three couples, but unfortunately, AJ Odudu and Kai Widdrington had to withdraw on medical advice yesterday (Friday, December 17) following AJ's ligament injury.

"I'm deeply upset that I am unable to perform in the final due to a torn ligament in my right ankle," said AJ. "Learning to dance over the last 13 weeks has been an incredible honour and to do it alongside someone as special, patient and devoted as Kai is something I'll treasure forever.

"Thank you to the Strictly family for the experience, the medical team for trying to get me back on my feet and mostly, to everyone at home for watching and supporting. You've made this experience one to remember."

Wishing John and Johannes and Rose and Giovanni the best of luck for the final, AJ added: "Strictly Come Dancing has been a lifelong dream and I'm glad it came true."

"I've been absolutely honoured to get to dance with the incredible AJ Odudu for the last few months and although neither of us wanted our journey to end this way, AJ's health and safety are by far the most important things," said Kai.

Describing AJ as "the absolute best partner I could ever have asked for in my first year on the show", Kai added: "I will always treasure the memories of dancing in the Strictly ballroom with her. I know we will be friends for life and I will be there for her through her recovery in whatever way I can."

AJ and Kai were present in the studio audience for the final, and she received rousing cheers of support from the audience and fellow cast members.

Claudia Winkleman said: "I think we can all agree that although AJ cannot perform tonight, she is, and always will be, an extraordinary Strictly finalist."

Tonight's final also reunited a number of contestants for the traditional end-of-series group dance, although one or two were unable to take part. Robert Webb, who pulled out of the series on medical advice to prioritise his recovery from open-heart surgery, had confirmed earlier in the week that he would be absent, while Tilly Ramsay is in isolation after testing positive for COVID-19.

Strictly fans will be able to enjoy a Christmas Day special next Saturday afternoon as Adrian Chiles, Anne-Marie, Fred Sirieix, Jay Blades, Mel Giedroyc and Moira Stuart take to the dance floor.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)