Strictly's Rose wins huge praise with silent dance...

Strictly's Rose wins huge praise with silent dance...

Postby dutchman » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:32 am

"This is a number that will be etched in my heart for a long long time"

In a Strictly Come Dancing first, Rose Ayling-Ellis rendered the judges to tears with a powerful performance devoted to the Deaf community, alongside partner Giovanni Pernice.

The pair's one-of-a-kind routine invited audiences to step into Rose's world during a silent moment in their dance to a rendition of Clean Bandit's 'Symphony'.

Making history on the show, the EastEnders star used her performance to raise awareness for the Deaf community in the most impactful way she could — for a show that otherwise relies on sound to accompany the dancers.

Midway through their routine, the music fell silent but the pair continued dancing as though along to music.

When the music resumed, the dancers finished their performance, which was received by a standing ovation from the judges and audience, who used sign language to applause.

During judges' comments, Motsi Mabuse chose to disregard the notes she had made on her performance and instead thanked Rose for what she provided.

"In this case, I honestly feel like saying thank you," Motsi said.

She continued: "Because this was such a beautiful moment to include us in your world, and for us to actually understand how important and how aware we all could be of each other […] Sometimes it's more than scores, sometimes it's just the moment."

Shirley Ballas stood from her chair to offer her praise before expressing: "This is a number that will be etched in my heart for a long long time."

Appearing visibly emotional, Anton Du Beke held back his tears when he reflected on his time on Strictly; before coming to the conclusion that the pair's performance was the "greatest thing" he has ever seen on the show and congratulated them.

Rose and Giovanni's first-of-its-kind routine awarded them a total and solid score of 39.

Viewers at home also had huge praise for the routine, one saying: "Following Rose's journey on Strictly, who is just legendary but tonight, when the music stopped midway of their dance and they kept going, that was mine and every Deaf people's stories being told on the stage. @RoseAylingEllis made us feel represented. Thank you."

Another tweeted that it was "so, so special so powerful & so emotional", while a third added: "Giovanni and Rose was one of the TV moments of the year, right?"

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)