Strictly Come Dancing announces first celebrity elimination

Strictly Come Dancing announces first celebrity elimination

Postby dutchman » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:24 pm

This couple is out of the running for the Glitterball

Former EastEnders actress Nina Wadia has been the first celebrity to be eliminated from this year's Strictly Come Dancing.

The actress and her professional partner Neil Jones faced Coronation Street star Katie McGlynn and Gorka Marquez in the dreaded dance-off in a battle of the soaps, but their Tango to 'Would I Lie To You?' by Eurythmics failed to impress the judges.

Motsi Mabuse, Craig Revel Horwood, Anton Du Beke and head judge, Shirley Ballas all had the tough job of judging the very first dance-off of the year.

Craig said: "Well, both couples clearly upped their game from the first time they danced. Nina, you got every step right. Katie, you really kept the energy up all the way through to the end with lots of retraction but the couple I'd like to save is Katie and Gorka."

Motsi also chose to save Katie and Gorka and said: "First of all, I want to say to both couples well done for their dance-off. I really thought that both of you gave absolutely all that you've got and gave the best performance you did tonight.

"I just found that one couple was just that little bit more convincing so that is why I'm going to go with Katie and Gorka."

Anton Du Beke chose to save Nina and Neil, noting that "This is exactly how you want a dance-off to be".

He added: "You want to do your best performance and I think you both did. This is the best you've done both dances. The ones who upped their game and performed the best I think was Nina and Neil."

Head Judge Shirley Ballas had the deciding vote, and she chose to save Katie and Gorka, though agreeing with Anton that both couples "upped their game".

"Well, this is one of the closest battles I think we've ever had in a dance-off," she said.

"Both couples were absolutely delightful to watch. Neither couple had mistakes so I've decided to go with the couple who had more advanced technical actions in their dance and that couple is Katie and Gorka."

So that saw the end to Neil and Nina's dancefloor journey, but Nina insisted she had had a good time, while Neil revealed she had been a "dream" partner for him.

"I wouldn't have wanted anybody else. You've been fantastic and so much fun. Literally, we're like a married couple – you've got both husbands here tonight!

"It's been so much fun together, you said you wanted to dance and you've done two fantastic dances and I'm really, really, really proud of you."

Strictly Come Dancing 2021 continues next Saturday (October 9) on BBC One.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)