BBC announces new host of Mastermind and Celebrity Mastermind

BBC announces new host of Mastermind and Celebrity Mastermind

Postby dutchman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:00 am

John Humphrys recently stepped down after 18 years as host

Mastermind and Celebrity Mastermind has a brand new host: Clive Myrie is taking over the reins on the long-running BBC quiz show.

The news comes just weeks after John Humphrys announced he would be leaving the show after 18 years sitting in the famous chair questioning quiz enthusiasts.

Myrie, who has been a journalist and presenter of the BBC News at Six and Ten since 2010, said it was a "privilege" to present Mastermind, after a career as a correspondent for destinations all around the world.

"What a privilege it is to take on this new role. Mastermind with Magnus Magnusson formed the backdrop to my youth, and now to be at the helm is a dream come true. I'm excited and can't wait to get stuck in."

Kate Phillips, BBC's Director of Entertainment said "Clive will be a superb host, witty, wise and with a wicked sense of humour, he's a consummate interrogator who also understands the fear involved when facing a barrage of questions in the spotlight."

As for Humphrys, he said it was "time to finish", and wished his successor well, but didn't envy them.

"When the present series comes to an end in March there will be someone else in the chair," he wrote in a column for the Daily Mail. "I wish my successor well — but I'm not sure I envy them, whoever 'they' may be. What are the odds on the first female?

"Mastermind is one of those programmes you tinker with at your peril. Allow a contender to choose a light-hearted subject and the cry goes out: 'Dumbing down!' Change the format even slightly and you are 'sexing up'.

"Believe me, it's not just the contestants who are in the spotlight."

Mastermind airs on BBC One.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: BBC announces new host of Mastermind and Celebrity Mastermind

Postby dutchman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:01 am

Myrie is an excellent presenter but somehow I don't think that's the reason he's been given the job? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)