X Factor contestant Phillip Blackwell jailed for rape

X Factor contestant Phillip Blackwell jailed for rape

Postby dutchman » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:47 pm

A former X Factor contestant who raped women over a 22-year period has been jailed for life

Phillip Blackwell, 56, taped some victims' eyes shut and used a camcorder to film himself attacking women after launching his first assault in 1997.

The court heard how Blackwell, who admitted 31 sex offences, targeted five young women who were walking alone in Birmingham, Coventry and Nuneaton.

He carried out offences on four women in the Launceston area of Cornwall.

Blackwell, of Western Road, Launceston, pleaded guilty to offences including rape, attempted rape, indecent assault, assault by penetration, voyeurism and false imprisonment.

The attacker, who was a contestant on X Factor in 2008 and toured with its live show in 2009, was described by His Honour Judge Cook as a devious and manipulative man who had left "ruined and blighted lives" in his wake.

He "plied victims with alcohol in order to get compliance" and some attacks were carried out on women who were unconscious said prosecutor Adrian Langdale QC at Warwick Crown Court.

Blackwell often used "delusional terms" while attacking his victims, as one woman was told: "If I met a girl like you, I would want to marry you. I want you to enjoy this."

He took steps to conceal his true identity, with his first victim being told to "close her eyes and count to 100" after he had finished attacking her, Mr Langdale said.

One victim persuaded Blackwell to remove his balaclava and not to rape her, he said she "should be a social worker for talking him out of it".

He also threatened victims in order to prevent them from telling police, with one woman being told: "I know where you live. You have a beautiful body and I can do this over and over again."

The prosecutor told the court how Blackwell often "grabbed" his victims from behind.

Mr Langdale said: "He identified young females dressed in a particular way that he found attractive, [and] followed them in his car.

"It was cold, calculated behaviour."

Following attacks in the late 1990s in the Midlands, Blackwell carried out offences on women in the Launceston area between 2005 and 2019.

He will serve a minimum of nine years before first being considered for parole.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: X Factor contestant Phillip Blackwell jailed for rape

Postby dutchman » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm

Second historic Nuneaton rape case remains open says top cop

Cops say a second historic rape case in Nuneaton remains open - and any new information is welcomed.

In the late 90s there were two reported rapes in the town - both in the Weddington area.

Evil serial attacker Phillip Blackwell was yesterday (July 27) sentenced to life imprisonment after he admitting raping an 18-year-old woman in Anker Fields in May 1998, as well as a string of other terrifying attacks in Birmingham and Cornwall.

But, two years earlier, there was a report of rape of a girl off Hinckley Road.

Reportedly a 17-year-old girl was raped in June 1996 after being dragged onto the old railway embankment.

This case remains unsolved and Warwickshire Police Assistant Chief Constable Debbie Tedds told CoventryLive that investigation remains open.

"There is an investigation that remains open and we will continue to review that to try and identify who is responsible and bring them to justice," she said.

ACC Tedds said the fact that Blackwell was brought to justice after 22 years and made to face his 31 crimes should act as an example to any victims of sexual attacks about the importance of speaking out.

"I would hope that there are two messages that come out of this investigation and subsequent court hearing - to any victim of sexual offences however long ago that they may have occurred, to have the confidence to come forward and report them, we will take you seriously, we will investigate those despite the time that may have passed," she told Coventry Live.

"Also, to those offenders that may think they have got away with their offending, we will continue to investigate matters and seek justice for victims, 22 years later, Blackwell has been forced to face his offending.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)