Bake Off final 2019 ratings take a sharp drop...

Bake Off final 2019 ratings take a sharp drop...

Postby dutchman » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:11 pm

The Great British Bake Off final 2019 takes a sharp drop from last year's viewing figures

The Great British Bake Off 2019 final was down more than half a million overnight viewers compared to last year.

The series climax pulled in an average of 6.9 million viewers last night (October 29), while 7.5 million people tuned in to see Rahul Mandal crowned the winner in 2018 – which was itself the lowest turn-out for a final in six years.

That said, last night's episode was still the most-watched of the series, and today's numbers obviously don't take into account anyone who watches on catch-up, with the consolidated figures revealed at a later date.

It also peaked at 7.7m viewers, and was the most-watched show on any channel from 8pm-9.15pm.

As for the final itself, geography teacher Alice Fevronia, shop assistant Steph Blackwell and health adviser David Atherton battled it out to impress judges Prue Leith and Paul Hollywood.

And despite never being named Star Baker across the series, David saved his best for last and was named champion in the iconic white tent.

His victory was a surprise for some viewers, given that Alice had been Star Baker twice, while Steph had received the accolade four times.

"Week on week other people were stronger," David said of his win. "I was always the underdog and yet I just managed to get through. All of it is a bit surreal and I am still trying to process it, but the whole Bake Off journey is non-stop and part of it is just having the stamina."

He continued: "Honestly, it was never in my mind that I thought I could win this. I have had daydreams of winning Bake Off for about 10 years. The judges always loved my presentation but not my flavours."

At the end of the episode, Prue described David as an "extraordinary baker" who she is "so full of admiration for".

"Right from the beginning he has never lost his temper he has always been very neat and organised," she added. "It was really a question of the tortoise catching the hare. He just steadily went on and won."

The Great British Bake Off aired on Channel 4, while spin-off show The Great British Bake Off: An Extra Slice airs on Friday at 8pm, also on Channel 4.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)