Strictly Come Dancing 2019 launch show fails to match last year's debut in the ratings

Strictly Come Dancing 2019 launch show fails to match last year's debut in the ratings

Postby dutchman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:36 pm

But it still had plenty of people dancing

Strictly Come Dancing launched its 2019 show last night (September 7) in a flash of sequins and fake tan – but it didn't quite match up to 2018's launch show when it came to ratings.

This year's first show, which saw the new batch of celebrity contestants paired up with their professional partners, was watched by a peak of 7.81 million people, which is just slightly down on the 8.1 million who tuned in for the same show last year.

Of course, these figures do not allow for on demand, catch-up, online (including YouTube) or mobile viewings, so there may yet be more of us getting our first Strictly fix of the year that the ratings aren't showing yet.

And even just a week in the series has given us plenty to discuss, as one of this year's contestants, Made in Chelsea star Jamie Laing, has already had to pull out of the show after he injured his foot.

Shortly after the launch show, the BBC revealed that his spot in the line-up will now be taken by former Emmerdale star Kelvin Fletcher, who played Andy Sugden on the ITV soap.

Kelvin will be dancing with Jamie's planned partner Oti Mabuse, and he's revealed that he's finding the experience so far "incredible".

"Is this really happening?! It's been the most surreal week of my life!" he said in a statement. "I'm a massive fan of Strictly so it's incredible. I'm so happy that I can be a part of it.

"But at the same time it's quite bittersweet. I'm coming in on the back of Jamie's injury – I keep thinking about him! I can't imagine going through all this excitement and then having to pull out.

"My thoughts are with him – he seems like a fantastic guy and I hope he's doing OK."

Strictly Come Dancing airs on BBC One.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Strictly Come Dancing 2019 launch show fails to match last year's debut in the ratings

Postby dutchman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Possibly because nobody has heard of any of this year's contestants?

I watched "They Shoot Horses Don't They?" on Talking Pictures instead. Now that's how they should run the contest! :lol:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Strictly Come Dancing 2019 launch show fails to match last year's debut in the ratings

Postby rebbonk » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:20 am

I have never watched this show
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)