Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig to host new Great British Bake Off

Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig to host new Great British Bake Off

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:15 pm

New presenters will join new judge Prue Leith and Bake Off stalwart Paul Hollywood in the Channel 4 version of the show

The departure of Mel and Sue put the nation’s bakers in a spin. Now Channel 4 is banking on another double act to appease them: Sandi and Noel.

The comedian Noel Fielding, best known for The Mighty Boosh, and Sandi Toksvig, the panel show stalwart and QI host, have been announced as the replacements for Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, who left the show after its move from the BBC.

As had been widely rumoured, the cookery writer and presenter Prue Leith will step into Mary Berry’s shoes as a judge, working alongside Paul Hollywood, who was the only member of the original team to move channels with the show for its eighth season. Leith previously described the gig as a “dream”.

Channel 4 will hope the announcement ends a chapter of disruption for the show, following a fan and media meltdown when its creator Love Productions announced its defection from the BBC after seven series in a deal worth £25m a year. A source close to the company said “three years of bad blood” between the BBC and Love Productions had contributed to the move.

The revamped show will go head-to-head with a rival cookery show on the BBC. The former Bake Off champion Nadiya Hussain will present The Big Family Cooking Showdown alongside Zoë Ball, with the chefs Rosemary Shrager and Giorgio Locatelli as judges.

Leith’s appointment had been well trailed. The 77-year-old South African-born novelist, restaurateur, broadcaster and cookery writer had made no secret of her keenness for the role. “I’m certainly one of the runners. I can wish. I can dream,” she said last month, revealing that she had had two auditions and “lots of meetings” about joining the show.

Toksvig had been widely viewed as a potential candidate for one of the presenter roles and became a late favourite, with bookmakers William Hill slashing odds against her from 12-1 to 5-1 on Thursday morning. She was tied as favourite with comedian and director Richard Ayoade. A spokeswoman said she has no plans to stop hosting QI, adding: “It’s her dream job.”

Fielding is the wild card in the new Bake Off pack as he steps into his first major presenting role. His previous experience in the field is limited to a two-part Channel 4 documentary about Damien Hirst. He told the Mirror he was a keen cook. “If I got the chance I’d go on MasterChef.,” he said.

Hollywood said: “I could not be more delighted by who will be joining me on the show. Prue is a hugely respected culinary legend, and Sandi and Noel are warm and utterly hilarious. I cannot wait to get back in the tent with the bakers.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig to host new Great British Bake Off

Postby rebbonk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:36 pm

Who?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)