Len Goodman's final Strictly Come Dancing Christmas special delivers huge ratings

Len Goodman's final Strictly Come Dancing Christmas special delivers huge ratings

Postby dutchman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:35 pm

All hail King Len and the Strictly team

It may have fallen slightly short of the incredible series 14 final that saw Ore Oduba crowned the Strictly 2016 champion earlier this month, but Strictly Come Dancing's Christmas special has another accolade to be proud of as it was the most watched show on Christmas Day (December 25).

Last night's Christmas show marked the final appearance of head judge Len Goodman, and average of 7.2 million people - or should that SEVERRRRN (point two)? - tuned in to say goodbye to Len.

The festive special saw Len award his final '10 from Len' (in a show where all he awarded was 10s) to Frankie Bridge for her incredible Frozen-themed American smooth with Gorka Marquez.

But even that coveted panel didn't swing the win for Frankie as it was actually Melvin Odoom who won the Christmas special after being the first to be voted off the main series this year.

Despite the ratings-topping outing, it seems Len himself may not have been one of the 7.2 million who tuned into the BBC One show last night, as earlier this week he admitted to not watching himself back on TV.

"I don't like looking at myself much on the telly," he said. "I always think, 'why did you say that you silly little thing?' or, 'what did you do that for?' Or sometimes I notice that my bow tie gets all crooked and all that, so it's best I just don't watch myself."

Strictly Come Dancing's Christmas Day success means it topped the other BBC shows on offer yesterday, including Doctor Who and The Great Christmas Bake Off which clocked in at 5.6m and 6.3m viewers respectively.

In fact, BBC One did very well indeed in the ratings war, according to The Guardian, with eight shows in the Top 10. ITV scored 4th and 9th place with its festive soap stories on Coronation Street and Emmerdale respectively.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to Reality Shows (inc talent contests)